Monday, May 23, 2011

DIY Wire Wedding Hanger Tutorial

Check out my new blog for more DIY! ThinkPinkAJourney.wordpress.com

I am having a blast planning my wedding! I am definitely a do it yourself kind of bride and it has honestly pushed my creativity. Not only do you save a ton of money but you really get to put personal touches into your big day! I love the wire hangers with the bridesmaids names on them and here is my tutorial on how I made them so you can do it too!

What you will need




12 gage floral wire 
(I used about 2 rolls for 5 bridesmaids and a bride and groom one) Found at Michaels 
Wooden hangers 
can be bought just about anywhere, the cheapest I found them was Walmart & Meijer
Wire Cutter
Super Glue 
I used the 'Goop' brand craft glue and it worked really well, dried fast. 
small drill bit or a screw
I used a small hook screw to make the hole to put the wire in (we don't have a drill, its on our registry list lol) but a small drill bit would be much quicker. 
Round bottle top 
or similar item to help you shape the round letters and keep them consistent (ex b & d)

Step 1: Practice! There really isn't any doing over once you start the lettering in the wire, if you start un-doing the letting and re-doing, the wire gets kinked up and it won't ever look smooth. So practice, look up images of wedding hangers and find a lettering that you like and copy, you want you lettering to be consistent, for photos :-D 

Step 2: Form you names leaving a little extra on the sides so you can center it on the hanger. 

Step 3: Make the holes in the hanger.

Step 4: Center and clip your name, making sure to leave enough that fits into the holes.

Step 5: Put super glue into the holes of the hanger and insert the wire into the holes. Lay on a flat surface to dry, secure the wire into the holes for drying if necessary (I found a little bit of painters tape works to hold the wire if it moves on you) 



Let dry over night to be safe and then enjoy your custom wedding hangers!!!

If you liked this tutorial please follow & like my fb page!!!
I've always got something new to share!







1 comment:

  1. great!

    http://elizabethdoodah.blogspot.com

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElizabethDooDah

    ReplyDelete